Monday, October 15, 2007

Farha on Omaha

Was browsing the bookstore for a Seven Card Stud Hi/Lo book and ended up adding Farha on Omaha to the library. It's funny reading about him describing quality starting hands and he even says in the beginning that there is "his way" and the "right way." The weirdest thing though is for this book (and this doesn't happen to me ever) I cannot shake hearing Sammy's accent as I'm reading the book. That middle eastern accent is like one of those songs you can't get out of your head and if you listen carefully you can even hear an unlit cigarette too! Haven't read very much but it seems to cover the basics. I will be interested to read what he has to say about playing the "Sammy" way.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Awesome, I'd like to check that out of the library at some point. :)

Austin said...

I don't know that I've ever seen him up on the poker shows. Does he actually play Omaha well?

Marshall said...

He is regarded as the best Omaha player in Vegas by many.

Sushi Cowboy said...

Ryan, one book limit at a time please! ;)

Austin, I was surprised too. He seems like such a loosey goose on HSP that him even writing a book seemed odd. But according to the Forward section by Lyle Berman when they play the Big Game, no on will agree to only Omaha if Sammy is involved, they need it to get watered down with other mix games or else Sammy has too much of an edge. "If we only played Omaha, he might as well be holding the stone cold nuts every single hand." So I picked up the book because I'm curious how someone could get so much of an edge in a game that is so 50/50. It seems his reads on people is at least part of it but I haven't read very much.